Friday, July 17, 2009

Butch Thompson

Holden attracts some amazing people. Some come as guests and some to teach and and share their lives with us. Each week or two we have a new village musician who plays for worship, leads choirs and often puts on concerts. This week we have Butch Thompson a frequent pianist on Prairie Home Companion. Well I was unsure who Butch was but I knew that I wanted a front row seat at tonight's concert. I had friends save us seats in the front of the village center. When I arrived there was a man sitting right where I had hoped Art would sit. I asked him if he was expecting others to join him for the concert. He said, "no, I will be at the piano". Oh my, I was so embarrassed. I did not know that my seat mate was Butch himself.

Rag Time and Jazz are his favorites. He never had one piece of music in front of him all night. I was filled with his rhythm and fervor for the compositions.
At times, his hands moved so fast that I could not snap a picture of them. We Holdenites are very lucky to share our world with such talent.

4 comments:

Gail said...

The last time he was at Holden in 2007, he got there one day and the very next day had to leave in the forest fire evacuation. He did get in a concert that first and only night. I also had the pleasure of hearing him play when I was in Wisconsin last fall. Wonderful!

Debbie said...

Sounds wonderful!

Lynn said...

I'm coming up tomorrow morning with my parents, Diane and her daughter. Hope we get to hear him play! Sounds like you had the best seats in the house.

Amy said...

I remember that, Gail. I was there at Holden then too. So glad that he returned! Great llama picture too.