Tuesday, August 4, 2009

A Double Bed

Each night Art and I cuddle up in a double bed. When we first arrived, I thought, "no way, I need my queen", but soon I discovered that there really is no difference and with these wonderful bamboo sheets, I am more comfortable than I was at home. We have two rooms and a bathroom here and I am not sure we really would ever need anything more. Space is what you make of it and we hope to fill our living room at home with more wonderful people and memories.

We leave three weeks from today and truth be told, I am ready to move back home. Both Art and I gave Holden Village all that we had and we are tired. I just finished a three hour dish team and Art is doing his now. Summer has been hot and buggy and those mountains we wanted to roam in will just have to wait till we come back with more energy.

That said, we have had a wonderful year!! Seeing my husband several times during the day after only of seeing him after a long work day for years, has been fantastic. We take breaks together and find each other when ever we feel like it. This has been a transition year for us and we have discovered and learned a lot.

We came to Holden to give all we could to a place that we both loved so very much. We wanted to work hard and help others enjoy this mountain retreat. We have met many wonderful people and really connected with the young people of the village. I am not sure how the next 20-something in Ellensburg will react when I walk up and say, "hi, want to hang out?"

Living this close to nature was truly the most special gift of all. Mountains and birds, snow and mist, bear and owls, chipmunks and deer, flowers and wild berries; this will be where my pain will be when I am gone. I find my heart is at home here and my soul loves the primitive and natural beauty.

5 comments:

Amy said...

joan- I'm so happy that when I come to Holden you and Art will be there! I'll bring a bottle of wine. If there's anything else that you'd like me to bring, please let me know. Looking forward to time there. I arrive next Tuesday. :)

Unknown said...

Joan, thank you so much for your wonderful gifts, service, and ministry over the the past year. It has been truly a gift to come up and visit with you and Art.

Anonymous said...

Joan, Kelly & I were the 20 somethings next door. Common ground is not defined by age. We have enjoyed your year at Holden through your blog. Kelly & I will be planning our next "sneak attack" visit before long. Jason, Kelly + 3 in AK.

satherds said...

lovin' and missin' you. Please remember to come back and use up our guest days

Mary & Dave

Josephine Camarillo said...

Looking forward to you guys coming home!!! Wish Dad a happy birthday for us!!!

See you soon!
Josephine and Kevin