Sunday, August 16, 2009

The End - Maybe

Friends,

Art and I are busy winding down our last days here at Holden Village. We have so much to do to get ready to leave and many, many hikes and visits with friends that we making time for as we conclude our year.

Our hearts are full of mixed feelings on all levels. We want to stay longer and we want to get back home. None of this fits in a blog for those who read of our experience. We ache and are excited at the very same time.

I am not sure if I will continue this blog or not when we get back to Ellensburg. This is the turning point for those of you who are wanting a window into the life and fun at Holden Village. Many of you have shared with me your reading of this blog from home. I never knew who was reading, so your comments shared, both online and in person, really made a difference in our lives.

If I do continue on, it will be about our lives where ever we are. For now that will be in Ellensburg with periodic trips to Holden as we continue on as "Holden Angels". We are interested in possibly coming back in a few years during the mine remediation, but right now there are so many unknowns with that process.

I say good bye to those of you who are Holdenites. I will encourage others to blog so you can follow village life. To those who hang in with us during our transition, thanks. We will see where life takes us.

I know that some of you might like to experience a year at Holden as well. What I have offered here has been the highlights of a fun and fulfilling year. The reality of living here is somewhat different than the view I offered. We have worked very, very hard here; often with no days off. Keeping a village going 24/7 means giving up both your personal time and space. Living here is not for the faint of faith nor heart. Ten percent of those who made a year commitment this year did not make it for one reason or another. All that said, it felt wonderful to work hard, eat fantastic food, laugh hard and sleep like I never have before. My body loves this life. I just hope that I can find the proper balance when I am back home.

Pray for us and our transition.

Thanks, love and blessings to you all

Joan and Art Neslund

4 comments:

Debbie said...

and blessings to you and Art as you transition ... For work I have written about healthy good-byes and how important they are. Surrounded by others saying goodbye and singing the song ... how wonderful to be loved and cared for so in the Holden Community. You have given so much ... and you will take so much with you in your heart and mind. As you go into the word as a treasure and jar of clay ...

and at 10:30 take a break!

Gail said...

I understand your feelings about leaving Holden. I had the same ones when I left. The transition was harder than expected. Glad you will continue to be "angels." Go out with good courage!

Amy said...

yes, prayers are with you. It was fun to be in the village with you. What a gift you are to all there and me.

Becky and Terry said...

Oh Joan, by all means continue blogging please. You write so well. I have tried many times to let you know we are following your blog but I think I've always messed it up. Anyway...this time Terry is working on it so I know you will read this. We want to continue to follow you and Art. Thank you for these months that we have been able to enjoy Holden through your colorful words and pictures. It's helped us transition from our short time there. Leaving for you 2...I just can't imagine. Surely, though, you need some rest. You two work extra, extra hard. I couldn't keep pace with you. That's probably how you are everywhere though :) Holding you in our thoughts and prayers. Our love, Becky and Terry.