Saturday, January 10, 2009

Joan's Big Adventure

My adventure was a total surprise to me and I was unprepared for what happened. One minute I was eating breakfast and feeling fine and 15 minutes later I was on the floor, so dizzy that I could not even move my head or open my eyes. Every time I opened my eyes the room would literally spin and I would feel very nauseous.

Time stopped for me; I knew there were people in the room with me but all I thought about was not moving or throwing up again. I remember Dave and Liz taking vitals and giving me a shot to ease my nausea. I was unable to even lift my head, much less get off of the floor. At some point the decision to take me out of the village was made, but because of my condition, they knew that the Lady of the Lake could not meet my needs. A Forest Service boat was called down from Stehekin with a medic on board to take me downlake to Chelan. I remember little of the ride except for the fact that the medic kept waking me up. It was a sunny day on the lake and I had not seen the sun for months, I am sorry I missed it.

An ambulance met us at Field's Point where I was placed on a gurney and transported the the Chelan ER. The staff at the ER was wonderful and had me diagnosed within minutes; Labyrinthitis, an inner ear condition that comes on suddenly but can last for a few weeks. I was given some heavy sedative medications and told to go to bed. We got a room at the Chelan Best Western and I took a hot bath and then went to bed.

I feel much better today but we have decided to stay in the hotel one more night just to make sure I have stabilized. I am so grateful to all those who helped and cared for me. I was not an easy patient at times. Each time I moved my head my world would spin. I resisted moving and yet they carried me and transported me over many miles of very remote country to an emergency room. I am am overwhelmed with emotion when I think of each kind word and face that told me that all would be OK.

Thank you all. I am on the mend and plan to be back soon.

9 comments:

Amy said...

Joan, Joan! I was so concerned as I began to read your blog. Gosh, I'm so thankful they found out what was goign on and that you are on the mend. God is good and it appears that God had many angels by your side. Please keep me posted as to how you are. Prayerfully,

Debbie said...

Sounds like you are doing a bit better. Pretty scary ... Take your time heading back ... If I lived closer I'd head up to the village for a week ... but alas I can't.
Take care ...

Gail said...

Holy smokes Joan. My heart was racing as I read your blog. Take care of yourself.
Love, Gail

Laura said...

Joan, I am so glad to see that you are feeling well enough to write. It seems like a miracle, given your condition when you left. We have been praying for you and missing you here in the village. Get well!
Come back soon. Blessings to you and Art!

Joan Neslund said...

Thanks everyone, I am feeling better. When I was in the ER in Chelan, I remembered a maneuver of rolling your head in certain positions that had helped someone in the village last year. Good old You Tube showed me how to do it and I am feeling much better. I should be back on Wed.

Laura said...

Joan, we were sad not to see you and Art step off the bus today. But it is good to know we'll be seeing you on Wednesday (if only in passing, as we head out for a week!). Do take care, both of you! It'll be good to see you here again.
Blessings and prayers for good health and a strong recovery!

Anonymous said...

Hi Joan,
I just had lunch with Debbie and she told me about your emergency exit from Holden. I hope you're feeling better.
I got to talk to Wanda today over the phone.
The next time you're in MN, call me. Mayber we could get together.

Tracy

Jeff said...

Joan, while reading your adventure I couldn't help but remember that Art had to leave the village last year when he had a bad ear infection. I am so glad you are better. I was so scared reading the blog. See you next month. Take care of yourself.

Anonymous said...

Hi Art and Joan!

You folks were having just too much fun it sounded like until I read about Joan's problem. I'm glad that you're doing better and that Art is at least trying to stay out of trouble ... :)

As far as my condition goes the surgical wound from my burst appendix is nearly closed (it's about 1/32nd the size it was since the surgery) and I'm taking it easy as per doctor's orders. I have lost a lot of weight since the whole thing began and currently weigh under 160 pounds (I weighed 154 two weeks after my surgery ... way too skinny for me).

Since I haven't heard anything back from Holden Village about returning as a long or even short term volunteer I'll be leaving East Wenatchee (where I'm house sitting) and going back to Gig Harbor for another house sitting job and another one helping out a friend with her tax return business. I'm still hoping to get back to Holden but ...

Please tell everyone I said Hi! Take care!

Bill