Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Bombardier Adventure

At lunch today it was announced that one of the Bombardiers was going out for a test run and anyone who wanted a ride could come along. The village has several of these vehicles; this one is a cute little 1958 vintage special. Several of us came out for the ride. It had been years since I had ridden in one since the village only uses them in the most extreme snowy circumstances.
Here we sit ready to go. Aubrey and her mom came decided to come along for the ride.

Everything went just fine all the way down the road, but when we turned around to come back the poor baby over heated. We all sat inside for awhile until inside the cab began to fill with steam. One of our passengers was a bit afraid that it would blow up, so we evacuated. Our driver, Terry, called for support but most of us decided to walk the 2 miles back to the village.

A look back at the poor baby steaming as it waits for assistance.

We trudged back to the village in a long line, the youngest first. Eventually Terry got it running again and picked many of the walkers back up. I stayed to myself and walked back. I am beginning to love the snowy road.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like your blog. Reminds me of home (Sierra Nevada's)

I used to roll around in one of those outside of soda springs ca..

Debbie said...

Ohhhh ,... I hope its working next week!

Debbie said...

Josh: Soda Springs ... I used to ski there when I was a kid!

lwise said...

I remember this old blue beast. We rode it into the village at Christmas time many years ago. If I'm not mistaken, we had a breakdown and transferred from another Bombardier (yellow? or red?) Or was it the other way around. I still recall the ride being rather bumpy and cold, but a great adventure. Amazing that these heritage vehicles still run.

Tammy said...

Hugz Joan my dear friend enjoying life to the fullest!!! Yes, I still read your blog and enjoy every picture and story behind it. Reminds me of the year I worked up in our Sierra Nevada's at Sierra Summit. I loved to go further up (actually up then down lol) to Huntington Lake and hike all over the place taking pictures at every turn. How I miss those days.