Saturday, February 21, 2009

Sledding Down the Road

How I wish I could have taken a picture so you could have seen me. I felt magnificent as I glided down the road on the Spark sled. There was no one there to take a picture nor could any image taken do justice to how I felt as I took the kick sled toward Lucerne.

After lunch and greeting a bus load of new guests, I grabbed my pack and took off.
I had told Jack, who was driving the bus, to look for me as he drove back up the road from Lucerne. "I will see how far I can make it before you get to me".

The first two miles were the hardest because the ground is fairly level, but after that the gliding got easier. Kick - slide, Kick - glide, Kick, kick, kick, kick - ahhhhh down hill. The sun was out with a clear blue sky, a deeper blue than I ever remember seeing before. I was all alone on my sled; just me in the snowy forest.

After about an hour,I came to the narrows, I was surprised at how far I had come and still no bus. By then I was gliding more and more and began the more rapid decent down the mountain.
The warmth of the day was making the snow soft and I was digging in a bit more, but I was glad because the road was beginning to get steep.

Suddenly, I heard a noise and around the bend came Jack and the bus. "Boy, you sure made it a long ways", he said. I smiled and was proud as we loaded the sled in the back.
I don't think a picture would have done justice to how wonderful I felt as I kicked and glided all alone in the snowy wilderness.

3 comments:

Debbie said...

congratulations! you are having such wonderful adventures!

Laura said...

Joan, what a nice description of your sled ride down the hill! I can almost see you gliding down, big grin on your face....

Anonymous said...

Oh how fun! They should have those for guest to use.