Sunday, March 29, 2009

Playing Cards

I was going to title this posting "Oh Hell", but our card playing habits have diversified somewhat lately, so I decided to make it a bit more general.

There is a saying here that when we all spend the long winter together, we need to find something to do with ourselves or we will begin to "chew" on one another. Many read, weave or knit. While I do all of these, playing cards has been my salvation.

After dinner each evening, there is an hour between dinner and vespers so that dish team can get the dishes done and the dining hall cleaned up. This hour has become our time of playing cards. We began with "Oh Hell" each night. My friend Sarah has kept every score sheet for every game that we have played. We know who has had the top most and lowest scores for this year. After a few months of Oh Hell, a few other began to play Euchre and Five Hundred. I had no experience with either but soon learned.

We get together evenings and weekends for card games. While Pinochle still remains my game of choice, I find that spending time laughing and playing cards with these awesome young people truly have shown me some of the secrets to happiness both in and out of the village.

Good luck in cards and in life.

1 comment:

Amy said...

I love to play cards! Sometimes, I think I minored in spades and hearts in college. Hope you have good luck.