Sunday, April 19, 2009

Humming Birds

Oh this is better than Christmas! The Humming birds are at our feeder. Spring in the mountains brings out many different kinds of birds. We have owls each evening who "hoot" us to sleep each night. Juncos, Robins and Blue Jays cover the receding snow looking for seeds. Art was late for dinner last night because he watch the courtship of two Bald Eagles in flight over the village. But for me....... it is the Humming Birds that have me so excited. They sound like a very large bumble bee. Often there will be so many that you swat at them as you walk down the path. You forget that they are birds not pests. We put our feeder up yesterday and already they have found it. I have heard that once you start you need to keep the feeder filled and that they can drink up to a quart of this sugar water a day.
I knew the people who lived in our place last year and if you were very quiet and very still you can put your fingers around the feeder and they will land on your hand and drink. I am just so excited!! Expect more pictures from me; I just can't help myself.

2 comments:

Mark said...

I am a big fan of hummingbirds, as well. When I have been at Sky Ranch, in the Rocky Mountains by Fort Collins, CO they always have a lot of hummingbird feeders on their deck. I have put my hands by the feeder and had the hummingbirds perch on them. It is pretty neat, but they do like to pee a lot!

Amy said...

wow, how exciting! About a quart each day, how interesting.