Thursday, November 20, 2008

At Peace

In the evenings here we can sometimes get Seattle AM radio. Last night was one of those nights and when I came in, after enjoying a cup of tea with a few other ladies, Art had the news on the radio. I sat down with my knitting to listen. The stock market had gone down, the UW Huskies had not won a game, the big auto manufacturers had been turned down for aid from congress. The litany of bad news went on and on and I suddenly felt a sick feeling of fear deep in my stomach. I realized that this tension in my gut was something that I lived with everyday in Ellensburg. Here at Holden, I get the news every day via the Internet. I read the headlines and a few other postings but I am not bombarded with the doom and gloom that the mainstream media projects into our homes.

I much prefer this peace that I walk with here in the mountains. When I go home again, I am going to fight my own personal "war on terror" and not invite the doom and gloom media into my home. I will work hard, stay informed, help my family and community but for my own personal health, I need to keep this fear out of my life. I will take care of what I need to and trust that you will do the same. God will do the rest.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

ahhhh ... so true ... I've been gone from the mountain for six weeks ... and been back at work for three weeks. Am still working on that peace thing ... I take a Holden Break every day at work ... and knit! The door is closed ... and sometimes the music is on!

Looking forward to following your blog!