Friday, November 28, 2008

Dish Team

Each week we are assigned to do one dish team shift, usually dinner during the winter. I really love dish team and do it well so when I checked the scheduled for this week, I was not surprised to see my name listed for Thanksgiving dinner. Even for hard workers this was going to be a long haul.

Each dish team has 5-7 people assigned to scrub, wash and put away all the dishes and pots and pans and clean the dining hall. I always arrive early so I can get my choice spot, DIRTY. The Holden "dish pitt" has 3 deep sinks which we use to scrub everything. Below is a Lauren scrubbing after lunch today.
Once the dishes are scrubbed and moslty clean they are racked onto trays and push through the Hobart dishwasher. This is a huge commercial washer that I would love to have at home. Just think I would only have to do dishes a couple of times a year with this thing.
After the dishes come out of the Hobart they are whisked away to be stacked with the clean again. All of this is a simple and well designed process that keeps the village ready for each meal. Thanksgiving dish team was a long one but fun. I spend over 2 hours scrubbing in one of those sinks, but after 2 glasses of wine at dinner, I did not care much at all.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

cool ... maybe we can do dish team when I am there in Feb ... I like CLEAN! Reading Wanda's blog ... gave me a feel for the day !